NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Site Admin

I know. It's kinda trivial and if we posted all such tweaks, log would be overflooded with them.

dmitri wrote:
one day we'll add RSS feed for the page Smile
and 'check for new version' in the IDE too Smile

I think the update check in the IDE should be a top priority. Not too many apps go without this feature anymore. Just by $0.02....
View user's profileFind all posts by bpat1434Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Site Admin

taking into account that not too many OSes go without firewalls... the chances people will get notifications are not that high Smile just my .02c

What do you mean? Just request a quick ATOM or RSS feed from "updates.nusphere.com" or something and parse the response. Use the standard HTTP port (80) and do it that way. Less chance a firewall will block it, and if the user is running a program firewall (McAfee, ZoneAlarm) then they can "allow" the program. Don't push the update from the web down, grab the update from the user up. That way, the program can call every time it's opened, or once a week, or once a month, or yearly or never to see if it's up to date.

I don't see how firewalls will play a big issue in it.... if they're using the program, odds are they can handle configuration of the firewall to let it reach the net Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by bpat1434Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Veteran

Two quick points.

First, I agree about checking for updates. Since my company bought the program for me, I don't have access to the download area, and you guys only seem to e-mail me about it maybe every three or four releases. And now that you've killed the News forum, I don't find out about updates unless I see them mentioned here.

My ideal scheme would be if the program could actually updated itself, as I described here:

new-build-notification-t3796.html

But a simple check that also shows you the release notes would still be far more helpful than what we have now. (I believe Zend just added this feature, too, FWIW.)

Using port 80, as someone else mentioned, makes firewalls almost always a non-issue, and for those who are blocking port 80, they probably are well aware of and know how to deal with the issues it can cause.

Second:
dmitri wrote:
I know. It's kinda trivial and if we posted all such tweaks, log would be overflooded with them.

I don't want just the major stuff in there - give me all the details, please. PhpED isn't a game or some minor utility; it's a professional program used by folks for many hours a day to make a living. I would be willing to bet, based on my experience with other programs that have similarly heavy users, that many users would appreciate knowing about every change and addition. And those that don't want to know, don't have to read it all.

If you want to see some really, really good release notes, release notes which regularly get loving comments from the program's users, see BBEdit's release notes:

[url]support/bbedit/current_notes.shtml[/url]

Bare Bones strikes the absolute perfect balance between excessive detail and not enough detail. If PhpED had similarly detailed and organized notes, I'd be ecstatic. Note, too, that when people read through detailed release notes, they will often discover (or rediscover) features that they didn't know about. This increases the value of the program to them and makes them happier, more loyal users.

So please give us the details. If you must, put out a detailed release note as well as the very simplistic one you use now, and let us users decide which we want to read.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

Just wanted to update everyone, this isn't completely fixed Sad

Build 5031 does fix some of the issues; however, if you type something like:
Code:
$var['array_key'] = array('some-key'=>(result_of_Function('some-value')));

it comes out like this....
Code:
$var['array_key'] = array('some-key'=>(result_of_Function('some-value')));)))]

So it properly skips quotes, but not braces Sad So it's half-way fixed...

I updated the first post (just in case anyone searches the board for this issue) to reflect this. Not too sure whether this can be a 5032 or 5033 update or not. Hopefully this is a quick fix.
[50% Complete] Auto complete quotes & braces issue